Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Children's Book Week


Reading all the touching stories of favorite childhood books across the biblioblogosphere in honor of Children's Book Week has guilted me into posting my own contribution. I still smile when I think of The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read, Irma Simonton Black (Author), Seymour Fleishman (Illustrator). It's a story of a man (who cannot read) who goes to the grocery store and selects items based on the box size and color, trying to match them to products he knows he has at home. Of course, he ends up with an amusing assortment of unintended purchases. The story is touching and the illustrations really make the point. Like many books from my childhood, I think it's out of print (and I see it was first published in 1968, before I was born), but it looks like Amazon can hook you up with a copy, as could many local libraries.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Jenn -- thanks for adding your favorite title to the mix! Here's the Worldcat.org link to The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read: http://worldcat.org/oclc/435590 There are several editions/printings and an audiobook!

Jenn Riley said...

Thanks for the Worldcat link, Eric! I did a quick search and didn't find it when first posting. Guess I should have looked closer. :-)

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an old cartoon that was tapes in near the stacks elevator in the Bancroft Library for many years. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find it online.

Guy slumped dejectedly in a chair. Caption beneath says, "Don't know the meaning of the word 'dictionary.' Don't know where to find out."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Best Real Estate Companies in Hyderabad